Jakarta - rough on the outside a gem inside!

Let me start off by saying I would have had a complete different experience if I didn't have 2 of the most fantastic hostesses! If your reading this, you know who you are ;) . I don't know if that experience would of been bad but I did get to see and learn more about Jakarta than a normal backpacker traveling through would.

Jakarta has about 10 million people living in the city and about 10 million traveling in and out of the city. The city does not have a subway! If there was one word that Lauren and Monica taught me how to say in Indonesian it was traffic! Lauren and I took full advantage of the traffic we sat in to get to know one another! So of course it worked in our favor :) .

Before writing on this blog , I wrote in my travel journal and took up like 5 pages of bullet points of things we did each day! Even with all the traffic I cannot believe how much I did in Jakarta ! I guess we took a lot of "short cuts." This is when we take a car or flight early in the morning so we can sleep the have the entire day to play!

I plan on only going over the highlights of this wonderful trip. If you want to know more , just ask!

The highlight of the first 10 hrs of Jakarta was getting dropped off at Lauren's dance studio and watching the talent and energy of all at the studio ... Seeing Lauren's ability to do ballet just made wish I had danced when I was younger. Then monica and laurens lovely cook made us food! it was delicious... Then bed after a long day traveling !

2nd day highlights! Went with Lauren to her language school she has a very trustworthy Ajax driver. (These are people that drive others on their motorbikes around, very popular because its easier to get through heavy traffic). He did not speak much, or any for that matter, English. So we had some time to play sharades. Good thing I had graduated from living in Korea for a year, so this was second nature to me :) he drove me to see Mona's! This is the very important monument in Jakarta. The second awesome thing I experienced was going to visit a poor village. Lauren goes once a week to help the children learn some words in English and do some yoga with the . I went and helped her and it came to me like second nature to teach these children. I felt so blessed to be able to be with them and to get them excited about learning not only English but yoga also. They had so much great positive energy. I loved every minute of it, or maybe except when the biggest cockroach ran across the floor!

3rd day highlights!
If you didn't know , a long time ago the Dutch came to Indonesia and took lots of power of the land to do mostly trading. Lauren took me 2 the area where there is many old Dutch buildings. We had a wonderful lunch at a famous cafe and went to the classic Wayang puppets museum . The next highlight was going to Lauren's yoga studio. Her studio is very nice. I took Lauren's anti - gravity yoga class. It was so amazing! Not only cuz Lauren is one wonderful teacher and she knows what she is doing but the energy in that class was great and it was something that I had never done!

Day 4 highlights!
We took the "short-cut." We all wanted to go to the beach to get there it was a 5 hour drive. We packed our bags and dogs and slept in the car because we left at 3 am! Once there at the beach sailing club, we decide to go sailing! I have never gone. I feel in love with it! When out in the java sea there are these bamboo built like platform structures coming out of the water. Lauren and I decide to climb up the structure and then to jump into the water. It was fun but a workout to say the least! Lauren kicked my butt in almost everyday! I loved every second of every challenge she threw at me. I say this because we start to sail back into land and then decide to swim half way by myself! I have not swam that much in a very very long time. It is amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it and how much easier it is. Lauren and I then did a "night cap." And by night cap I mean a yoga class ;) .

Day 5 highlights!
This day was lax compared to the other days. Woke up played with the dogs on the beach. Then did yoga with some people staying at the same resort. Drove home and on the way decided to stop at a restaurant for me to try durian . This is a very well known fruit in SE Asia. It has a very strong and taste to it... I did not like it... It has an inquiry taste. The day came to an end shortly after this .

Day 6 highlights!
We once again took a sort if "short cut". We got up early to catch a 5 am flight to yogya. We get to the airport in record speed and hop on the plane. We get there and then arrive to the most astonishing hotel called, d'Omah. This was Easter morning for me. We then go have some of the most amazing food from a local street vendor woman. I am not sure what I ate because Lauren and Monica ordered for me and Monica does the best at ordering for others. I ate much food out of a banana leaf and I was almost full and the food only cost 60 cents!! We then rode bike taxi around the water palace. This was full of history and energy. I loved every minute of it. I thought the most interesting thing was when we learned about how they make the traditional puppets , wayang puppets! To top off the experience of Easter Sunday I had an amazing 12 serving Javanese style meal! So full of color and spice.

Day 7 highlights!
Last day :( I woke up early and went to Borobudur temple! This is the worlds largest Buddhis stupa. It was massive and there was so much history to learn about. I could feel the past energy that had been there it was amazing! I then had the driver drive me to the prambanan temple. This was a cool temple to see from afar and I decided that was enough. Shortly after we flew back to Jakarta airport. I then said goodbye to my 2 amazing hostesses and caught my flight to head to the Philippines to meet up with lovely Christie!!

I learned so much more than I thought from Jakarta. I feel as though I was supposed to go at this time in my life. I gained so much from such wonderful people. I opened my mind and heart as much as possible for Jakarta and recieced so much because I did that. I am growing more and more from each experice and I am excited for more. I could never really explain in my limited vocabulary ;) how much Jakarta has shaped me for the rest of my travels and how much Lauren and Monica helped me while in Jakarta and with learned as much as possible. Jakarta is a hidden gem, I am happy that I randomly decided to go there. Best random plan of attack that I have made yet!

I am now in Boracay , Philippines and will update about these beautiful beaches and experiences very soon.

Love the life you live. . .

Xoxo

Hillzzzzzzz

.... And I tried to make this entry short! ... Ha!






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Beaches ... THE PHILIPPINES!

In Singapore for 3 dayzzz!